One cannot underestimate the importance of ACLS, or Advanced Cardiac Life Support, when choosing to be in the medical industry. Whether you want to be a doctor, nurse, or medical intern, earning an ACLS certificate can help you boost your medical career.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are more than 3,00,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in the USA. About 60% to 80% die before getting the treatment. Cardiac arrest occurs when the heart stops beating suddenly and the blood circulation stops.
Moreover, in the coming days, you can expect a tremendous increase in cardiovascular issues. Thus, the need for ACLS courses is of utmost importance in the healthcare industry. In this Sudden Cardiac Arrest Awareness Month, let’s discuss how ACLS training can improve the healthcare industry.
Today, in this blog, we are going to cover the need for ACLS certification for healthcare professionals and where one can find affordable certification.
Table of Contents:
- What is ACLS Certification?
- What does the ACLS Course Include?
- Why is ACLS certification important for healthcare professionals?
- How to prepare for ACLS certification?
- Where can you get ACLS certification?
What is ACLS Certification?
ACLS, or Advanced Cardiac Life Support, is a complete set of research-based protocols and procedures for providing emergency treatment. The course is specially designed for medical students and healthcare professionals who want to enhance their careers in the healthcare industry.
The ACLS course is directed at providing emergency treatment to people experiencing Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA). It is important to remember that SCA is not similar to a heart attack.
What is Sudden Cardiac Arrest?
It occurs when the heart stops beating, which causes blood circulation to stop. As a result, the blood does not reach the brain and other vital organs of the body. This happens when the heart’s electrical system malfunctions, which causes the heart to stop beating.
There could be various causes behind SCA.
Some preliminary SCA causes are:
- Hypothermia (low or high body temperature)
- Severe dehydration
These are only some of the causes out of many.
As cases of SCA have been seen at an increasing rate, the American Heart Association (AHA) offers an ACLS course that is built on the foundation of ACLS skills.
ACLS Course Manual
In this training program, you will learn various skills that enhance your confidence during a medical emergency.
Take a look at what you learn,
- Recognizing the symptoms of cardiovascular emergencies
- AED usage
- Early management of respiratory and cardiac arrest symptoms
- Airway management
- Stroke management
- Team building and communication
- Managing respiratory arrest and cardiac arrest
Why Is ACLS Important?
You may be wondering if earning your medical degree is sufficient. So, what is the point of getting ACLS certification?
However, this is just a myth, and ACLS is more than a certification. It can boost your medical career too and help you stand out in your career. ACLS empowers healthcare with critical knowledge of various medical emergencies so that they can take timely action.
Take a look at why ACLS is important for healthcare professionals
- Prepare for a medical emergency
- Rapid access and intervention during a medical emergency
- Improves survival rates and positive outcomes during cardiac emergencies
- Helps healthcare facilities meet regulatory requirements
- Coordinated care during cardiac emergencies
- Encouraging the skill development needed to handle critical situations
- Effective teamwork and communication in a stressful environment
- Career advancement and increasing healthcare roles
- Having up-to-date information on recent procedures
- The latest information and updates about cardiovascular emergencies
- Enhance your knowledge and increase the chances of career advancement
- Provides knowledge on how to provide the best care
How To Prepare Yourself For ACLS Certification?
If you have been willing to take up the ACLS course AHA, there are certain things to keep in mind to prepare well. You should know that there could be various psychological challenges for ACLS workers that you may also come across. So, better be prepared for it.
Here, we are also providing some tips on preparing yourself:
- Read the ACLS manual thoroughly
- Enroll in an ACLS certification program
- Practice CPR, intubation, and other medical training
- Learn ACLS algorithms
- Knowledge about the medications required during cardiovascular emergencies
- Participate in quizzes to improve your knowledge
- Practice real-life ACLS scenarios with peer
- Know about the latest ACLS course AHA guidelines
- Time management skills during the exam
- Renew certification every 2 years
What To Do When ACLS Certification Expires?
As the AHA keeps on renewing the CPR guidelines and providing information about the new procedures, staying updated can certainly help. For this, you need to renew your ACLS certificate every two years.
This helps you stay updated on the latest information and guidelines on ACLS. However, you need to check the criteria for whether you are eligible to renew your certification or not.
How Do You Get ACLS Recertification?
- Register for the ACLS renewal course early because courses fill up easily
- Review the ACLS guidelines before joining the course
- Be prepared to actively participate in the ACLS course
- You can contact your training provider if you have any queries regarding the ACLS course
Finding ACLS Certification In Frederick County, MD
Getting an ACLS certificate course is now easy for healthcare professionals in Frederick County, MD, because various AHA-certified institutions are present here. If you want to find an affordable ACLS Course in Frederick County, get in touch with Comfikare CPR. The trained professionals offer training right at your preferred location, so you don’t have to worry about rescheduling your work.
In case of ACLS certification expiration, you can also contact our training provider to learn about the criteria for recertification.
For more information on the ACLS course, get in touch with us.